Bátonyterenye is situated in the eastern part of Nógrád- county, north of the ’Mátra’ mountain, east of the ’Cserhát’ mountain, in a valley bordered the ’Zagyva’ and ’Tarján’ creeks.
The main national roads n.21 and n.23 cross the town, as well as the railway built in 1867. The town is approximately 100 km (less than an hour drive) from Budapest, 15 km (10 minutes) from Salgótarján- the county seat, and 25 km (20 minutes drive) from the Slovakian border.
The territory of the town is almost 8000 acres; it belongs to three different geographical areas; and, it was already populated around 1500 BC. Historical sources show that the area was inhabited right around the settlement of the Hungarians (899 AC) and the town districts were named on warrants as early as 1216.
The affix ’Vásáros’ (meaing - the location of the market ) suggests that this area must have been the center of a district where the markets were held.
During the Turkish occupation of the country (1541-1686) after the takeover of Buda and Hatvan, the valley of Zagyva became one of the main targets of Turkish raids.
Already in the 1550’s Nagybátony and Maconka were burnt down several times. Desereted areas were Szupatak for a 100 years and Kisterenye as well for a while. During the re-population of the area mainly indigenous people returned, except for the area of Szupatak, that was populated by Slovakians coming from „Lucsatyin”. In the Middle Ages, agriculture was pre-dominent in the area.
In the 18-19 th century the area was owned by two noble families, the Almássy and the Gyürky families.
It was in 1867 that the railway station was built in Kisterenye. This led to the utilization of the area's coal and created a solid base for a solid economic base. The CoalMine PLC of Kisterenye was created in 1871, which resulted in the building of „mine- setllements” , first at the verge of the villages, then –due to collective bargining agreements „Bányaváros” (Mine-town) was created int he 1950. Bányaváros is the current city center, where the Town Hall, the stores, the Medical Center and most of the schools are located.
It was only natural that on the base of coal mining, industry started booming. The possibility of work and better living attracted thousands of families not only from Nógrád county, but also from other poor areas (Alföld.- the Great Plain) of the country.
Until 1950 (the creation of the soviet system) Nagybátony and Maconka belonged to Heves – but Kisterenye and Szupatak to Nógrád county. With the system and territorial changes, the building of the central area of town „Bányaváros” started. Half of the population were miners, and up to 25% were farmers. It was also in the 1950's - 60’s that Social and Children's institutions were built : nurseries, pre-schools, elementary- and even a secondary school were built.
It was in 1989 that Bátonyterenye, as we know it today was created via the unification of 4 villages. The 4 flames in the armour of the city symbolise the four parts of the new town.
The effects of the political change in the early 90’s could be felt in Bátonyterenye as well. The shut down of mines caused a high level of unemployment. However, in the 21st century, a positive change is on its way : a new Industry Park was created that attracts several Hungarian companies. The town has a new Medical Center, pre-schools and schools are being renovated, and festivals are being organised. The town is finding its way back to the center of the region.